Wednesday 13 January 2010

Everything You Never Wanted to Know about Oxford



1. The best and worst part of my day is waking up in the morning. It is the warmest part of my day, hence the best part. I also know I will never be that warm again through the course of my day, hence the worst part. Alas, I have to wait a full 24 hours to be completely warm again.

2. Everyone actually knows the linage of the Crown.

3. People rarely say 'thank you;' they more often then not say 'cheers'

4. The University colleges still host formal black tie dinners.

5. About 20,000 students attend the almost 40 colleges within Oxford University.

6. Every college has a bar on/near campus. Hertford College now has the only student managed bar in Oxford (all college bars used to be student run).

7. One in every seventh person in Oxford is a student.

8. The Divinity School Library is the oldest University building in Oxford. Construction began in 1427 (that's 65 years before Columbus sailed the ocean blue).

9. Students do not actually attend All Souls College. Intellectuals are invited there to write and contribute to their academic field.

10. During the English Civil War Parliament met in the Bodleian Convocation room.

11. Going into the Bodleian Library will change your life.

So number 11 isn't a fact, but it's true for me. Today I was introduced to the Bodleian Library, the most beautiful, inspiring place I have ever been. I also received a tour of the Hertford College Campus and the Hertford College Library. You can feel the history here. It wraps it's big, long, timeline-like arms around you and carries you through the city. I love it!

1 comment: